Sunday, January 11, 2015

3 of 50 non-cliché places to visit

Another fun list out from Elite Daily:  50 non-cliche places to visit in your 20s.

I've been to 3 of the 50:

(2) New Orleans, Louisiana for a one night stint in a 3 week cross-country roadtrip with my friends Keith and Amber in 2009.  I think it would have been more fun if you were either with a huge group of rowdy people, or if you were interested in getting wasted and having a good time.  I liked the street performers and it seemed like there was music every block.  We walked past the House of Blues and tons of bars but it was actually much more low-key than I expected.  I remember wondering if the city was still recovering from Hurricane Katrina.  The architecture had an old riverboat-times style of the 20s.  You can tell its roots were wealthy and stylish.

(16) Christiania Denmark, either a small city within or just outside of Copenhagen, this is a little community most well-known for its order without government order...mostly meaning people smoke, buy, and sell weed and other merchandise without any outside regulation.  No photos are allowed (for obvious reasons) and I heard there are sometimes raids but that usually the people of the town are warned ahead of time.  It seemed like a happy and peaceful place.  Everyone minded their business or looked around at the shops or walked along the river or through the town.  There was a lot of artwork and some funky buildings.  I would suggest checking it out.

(40)  Plitvice (pronounced Plit-VEETcha) National Park, in Croatia, was one of the only things I really knew about the country before visiting in 2011.  It is far from most cities (which was great because a visit resulted in driving through most of the country to reach it and lead us to a crazy fun night in Zagreb, the capitol of Croatia).  It was definitely beautiful but VERY crowded.  I would suggest getting here either "off season" or early in the am.  I was there around 3-5 pm and it is in a bit of a valley so the really vibrant colors weren't QUITE as miraculous as you may have seen...don't get me wrong, it was still stunning!

Have you been to any of the places on the list?  
What do you think about them?  Any suggestions or thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment