Monday, March 23, 2015

Foodies of the World, Unite!

National Geographic has come out with a list of the top ten cities in the world that you must hit up for the food, if nothing else!



Here are the top ten food cities in the world (along with the food the city is most well-known for):


10.  Ensenada, Mexico - Fish Tacos from Ensenada Market

9. Edam, Netherlands - Most popular cheese in the world

8. Bologna, Italy - Pasta Bolognese (obviously)

7. Osaka, Japan - Takoyaki (balls of grilled octopus batter)

6. Cincinnati, Ohio - Chili

5. Lyon, France - Lyonnaise potatoes

4. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - Bahn Mi (French baguette sandwiches)

3. Buffalo, NY - Chicken Wings

2. Chennai, India - Indian equivalent to wings (was there some bias toward wings on the panel?)

1. Louisville, Kentucky - Hot Brown (Open-faced Turkey with cream sauce on Texas Toast)


Are you as hungry as I am, yet??


I'm biased toward Buffalo, but if you ask me if you should get the original Anchor Bar wings on your short trip, I'll tell you that Duff's Wings are number one (people's choice) every time.  This makes me want to try #2, Indian wings!

I love chili, but I'm not a fan of the chili/pasta combo out of Cinci...I think it's a texture clash for me.  Tastes fine, just weirds me out!

They have a chain in NYC called "Bahn Mi."  I've heard it's excellent but the ingredients didn't appeal to me so much...plus I'm sure it's not as good as the real thing in the heart of Vietnam!

The rest will be new to me...I'm especially interested in that 'Hot Brown' (if that city is number one in the world then it's most famous dish HAS to be killer) and Fish Tacos...YUMMMM.


How many have you been to?  Were they worth the trip?

1 comment:

  1. Here's a quick follow-up. Saw a lot of negativity about this poll and I know Buffalo (from living there) and I learned about it's culture and history while going to school there. It is one of the most diverse cities in the country because of it's heritage neighborhoods created by groups of immigrants over the past 200 years. It is the home of many modern inventions including the modern day dentist office chair, and it was the first city in the world to have electric street lights. Among its many inventions and developments, as one could imagine with such a diverse group of neighbors, came the foods. Some of them are typical and similar items may be found elsewhere, but, like New York Metro area bagels, there's always something that makes foods unique to their home. Here's a quick look at 5 of the great foods to grab if you're in Buffalo: http://redhunttravel.com/2015/03/travel-articles/5-famous-foods-from-buffalo/ ...and now I'm craving sponge candy.

    ReplyDelete